Missouri State University 2004 - 2005
Master of Science Degree in Instructional Media Technology; Springfield, MO.
- Major: Instructional Technology/Instructional Design
- Project paper: Web-based Multimedia Design Learning for the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
- Gained expertise in the development of designing instruction using various authoring tools
- Concentrated on instructional design and development, course design and development, technology and programming, and research methods
- Worked full-time at Missouri State while pursuing my graduate degree
Nova Southeastern University 1995 - 1997
Master of Business Administration Degree; Ft. Lauderdale, FL.
- Major: Business Administration
- Other: Focused on the business administration and management within corporate organizations
University of the West Indies 1985 - 1992
Bachelor of Science Degree; Kingston, Jamaica.
- Major: Electronic Physics and Mathematics
- Other: Worked as a contractor to Texaco Caribbean Inc.
This is a summary of my technical expertise as it pertains to instructional design and web technologies.
|Performance||Analyze, Develop, Design, Test, Implement, Evaluate, and Improve eLearning content performance. Experience in Technical Writing and Project Management.|
|Cross Browser Compatibility||Sophisticated CSS and XHTML that works equally well in all modern browsers and degrades gracefully in the aging 6.X browsers, which receive all of the content with simplified style. IE 5.0, 5.5, 6.0, 7.0, IE Mac 5.2, Firefox, Netscape, Safari, and Opera.|
|CMS||WordPress and WebPress|
|LMS||Blackboard Learn 9.1, Avatar, and Moodle, Campus Pack ePortfolio Application|
|Multimedia Tools||GIMP, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Dreamweaver, Adobe Flash Professional, Microsoft Office 2007 Suite, Microsoft Project and Publisher, Audacity, Open Office, Adobe Premiere Pro, and Fireworks, Reallusion iClone, and Final Cut Pro 5.0.|
|Authoring Tools||Adobe eLearning Suite, Adobe Presenter, Adobe Acrobat Professional 9.0, Articulate Suite software, Articulate Storyline, Lectora Professional Publishing Suite (ver. 9.3), Lectora Inspire, Snap! by Lectora, Learning Objects Campus Pack tool, Camtasia and Snagit software, Media Semantics Avatar builder, Respondus Exam, StudyMate and Lockdown Browser, Softchalk application, and Adobe Visual Communicator.|
|Web Conferencing||Adobe Connect 9.0, Blackboard Elluminate, WebEx, Centra|
|Systems||Windows and Mac OS X.|
|Accessibility||WAI A - AAA, including; alt text, long descriptions, labels, forms, color analysis, tables, structural markup, abbreviations, tab order, keyboard shortcuts, skip links, consistency, and navigation, and the U.S. law, Section 508. Knowledge of JAWS screen reader|
HTML, XHTML, PHP, ASP, XML, CSS
SQL, SQL Server Management Studio, MySQL, mysql, PHPMyadmin
- Experience in utilizing effective needs analysis, program design, course development, evaluation process (ADDIE)
- Adult-Learning Theory, Assessments, Formative and Summative Evaluations
- Deliver workshops on teaching through technology via virtual and face-to-face workshops
- Assisting Subject Matter Experts in the use of Lecture Capture and video screencasting tools
- Using Quality Matters rubric for guidance in course development peer review
- Assist faculty throughout course development by providing support on pedagogy, and course design
- Curriculum Design and Content Development
- Blended training experience (classroom, online, and print-based learning solutions)
- Needs Analysis, Performance Evaluation, Assessment Instrument design (surveys, questionnaires)
- Multimedia Production using Adobe Photoshop
- Evaluate, Design and Development of Online Learning modules
- Storyboarding and Script Writing
- Web Conferencing tools for training, web collaborations and virtual meetings (Adobe Connect)
- Experience in implementing accessibility, usability, and functionality testing methods
- Audio/Video Development
- Experienced in implementing and utilizing Accessibility Standards (Section 508)
- Experience in developing simulation and soft-skills training for CBT and WBT
- Experience in implementing accessibility, usability, and functionality testing methods
- Course development rubrics to evaluate the design of online and blended courses
- Web 2.0 tools for social learning and reflection (journals, blogs, eportfolios, wiki, discussion boards)
- Effective in Project Management of course course development and implementation
- Strong business and organizational skills
- Knowledge of SCORM/AICC Standards
- Utilization of communication tools for stronger collaboration among instructional developers and Subject Matter Experts such as Adobe Connect
Missouri State University, Springfield, MO
Instructional Designer 01/10/2011 - Present
My primary job duty as the Instructional Designer is production, administration, and coordination of instructional materials in any modality, including face-to-face, in order to enhance the pedagogy of any class. In collaboration with faculty, the Instructional Designer has production, design, and operational responsibilities for class materials presented through online and blended modalities which includes face-to-face interactions and the integration of face-to-face learning content into blended courses in a pedagogical manner. The Instructional Designer works closely with faculty to develop pedagogically effective distance learning and face-to-face methodologies.
- Collaborate with the instructional community in any teaching modality, including online, blended, and face-to-face to enhance the pedagogy of any class.
- Supervising and developing instructional modules for faculty in support of online and blended instruction
- Creating documentation related to the online and blended courses and development of course modules (video and print-based instruction)
- Recommending and assisting in the conceptualization of appropriate supplemental course materials for accomplishing course objectives in online and blended learning environments, including print-based and multimedia-based materials.
- Reviews and assesses new and existing online and blended courses for technical and pedagogical content, whether the content is delivered online or face-to-face.
- Addressing the instructional needs of faculty, staff, and students and contributing to creating effective and quality learning environments by working as part of a team consisting of other Instructional Designers, audio/video specialists, the Production Manager, the Instructional Technology Coordinator, and technical specialists in developing instructional modules, courses, and programs.
- Advancing the University’s online and blended learning systems and protocols by working cooperatively and collaboratively with other University departments and units.
- Improving the level of understanding of the instructional community by providing workshops on the instructional design elements of the online and blended delivery of course materials and the pedagogical integration of face-to-face and online instructional components in a blended course
- Creating workshop materials for web and face-to-face delivery of online and blended courses, and creating fully web-based workshops that support and promote issues related to online and blended course delivery.
- Remain competent and current by reading professional journals, researching the literature on online, blended, and face-to-face course delivery and best practices
Research & Instructional Design Coordinator 08/2006 - 01/07/2011
Lead instructional technology designer and web and database developer for the Offices of Sponsored Research and Programs, Graduate College, office of Research Compliance, and the Office of Research and Economic Development. Develops Compliance curricula soft-skills, and web-based training modules. Support the department’s technology & web infrastructure.
- Streamlined the department website using strong web and accessibility standards leading to increased visibility and awareness of the functions of sponsored research and programs
- Serves as a an institutional technology support specialist for multiple departments on Learning Management Implementation; Development of eCommerce sites for non-credit course support; Serves as implementation specialist of various university projects on compliance learning projects.
- Uses multiple authoring tools in the development and design of interactive learning modules
- Institute various web forms and databases for strong search capability and research needs for researchers
- Develops online and classroom curriculum materials for compliance and research training needs
- Uses assessment and evaluation tools to gauge course design and user learning experience
- Member (Administrator) of the university's Learning Management System Implementation Team
- Managed the successful development and deployment of compliance and research materials leading to the training of over 3,600 learners
- Provided and implemented hardware, SQL database, and software support for the sponsored research department leading to greater access to an integrated training and production server system
- Contributed to the department’s newsletter and blog as Editor, delivering sponsored programs information that is timely, accurate, and relevant
Graduate Assistant – Training Coordinator 06/2004 – 07/2006
Lead person for the development of the department web site and instructional program for the office of Sponsored Research and Programs. Developed compliance curricula and web-based training modules. Administered the department’s computer systems and infrastructure.
- Administered all website development needs for the department
- Administered the department’s database needs for the management of externally funded projects
- Managed conversion of compliance and research materials to the department website
- Provided hardware and software support for the department
- Used storyboarding techniques, developed multimedia and online learning content, and visual concepts for the creation of Human subjects, Animal subjects and Biosafety compliance programs
- Member of the Academic Integrity Committee providing guidance on ethical conduct
- Supported the future development needs of the web-based Grants Management system
First Assembly of God, Continuing Education, Griffin, GA
Volunteer Computer Instructor for Adult Educational classes 7/2003 – 12/2003
Computer Instructor (Volunteer)
- Developed a course curriculum for MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Internet Explorer, Outlook, Internet-related classes
- Lead instructor of computer educational classes supporting the training of over 45 adult learners
Athens Regional Medical Hospital and Athens Regional Library, Athens, GA
Software instructor and Database Support (Volunteer) 07/2002 – 09/2002
Provided assistance with data processing and user training on AS/400 and Windows PC
- Developed course curriculum for MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Internet Explorer, Outlook, Internet-related classes
- Provided database support and data entry on AS/400 server
- Conducted software user training for over 75 adult learners
Texaco Caribbean Inc., Information Technology Department, Kingston, Jamaica
Supervisor, I.T. Department08/1992 – 09/2000
Systems Administrator with direct responsibilities for company information technology operations for the country.
- Managed project plan and successfully implemented the Compliance/Disaster Recovery Information Technology projects that were on time, within budgets, with strong return on investments
- Developed and implemented hardware and software system training courses for over 120 learners
- Developed and administered systems including AS/400, Business Enterprise Software, Internet, and Intranet, LAN, WAN, Windows systems and Cisco Routers
- Applied instructional design strategies for strong course design and implementation processes
- Developed training materials for the AS/400 and the Accounting Module (BPCS) that strengthened the productivity of employees within the accounting and operations department
- Performed needs assessments and gap analyses for each department to determine appropriate ERP-related course content that lead to a more streamlined process of implementing the system
- Managed the successful installation and support of Point-of-Sale system at all 15 Company-run service stations within accepted deadlines and within budget
- Installation and maintenance of in-house Customer Lubricant marketing software system that supported the work of the petroleum engineer
- Provided analysis and statistical reporting for marketing department that strengthened their ability to gauge the needs of the market, based on product delivery and sales
Graphic and Web Design
Instructional Presentations and Blog
Video and Instructional Guides
Presentations and Tutorials
Awards and Accomplishments
- "Boot Camp" Instructional Design workshop for Education faculty - 2013
- Presentation on Video Gadgets and Designing online modules using Softchalk - 2012
- Completed Applying the QM Rubric (APPQMR) - 2012
- Responsible for training and consultation for various authoring tools for faculty - 2012
- Boot Camp training for subject matter experts - blended and online courses
- Implementation of virtual rooms using Adobe Connect for class negotiations and group discussion meetings as a component of course redesign projects - 2011
- Worked with the Human Resources Training department in the development of online simulation training for the new Learning Management System made available to the university community for profesional development - 20010
- Developed and implemented a university-wide plagiarism compliance training course - 2008
- Development of online compliance modules used by all researchers within the University - 2007
- Implemented Moodle Learning Management System for internal course development/training - 2007
- Member of Missouri State University Academic Integrity Council, 2004 – 05
- Member of Missouri State University Web Developer User Group, 2004 – present
- Member, Committee to select a Learning Management System for the Human Resource Department, Missouri State University, 2005
- Member, Student Advisory Council, College of Education, Missouri State University, Fall 2005
- Finalist, Best Graduate Assistant, Graduate Interdisciplinary Forum, Missouri State University, 2004
- Member, Association of Educational Communications and Technology (AECT), Missouri State University, Fall 2005 – present
- Developed recruitment video for Ozark Community Technical College, Summer 2005
- Created Resource Software group to assist in training and system support across all departments, Texaco Caribbean Inc. 1998 – 2000
- Master Instructor for Microsoft Office Software and BPCS Financial Enterprise software system, Texaco Caribbean Inc. 1999 – 2000
- Participant, Review of Standards on the AS/400 Server, PC/Server Networks and Year 2000 compliance for Texaco LA/WA group, 1999 – 2000
- Member, Project Management Institute (PMI), 1998 – 2001
- Consultant to the headquarters relocation and system change-over for Texaco Caribbean Inc. Nov. 2000
- Completed Certificate in Project Management, 1999
Faculty Center for Teaching and Learning, 27th Showcase, 2012, 08/2012
Co-Presenter at the Showcase, on the topic, "Blended Format in Multi-Instructor, Activity-Based, Technology-Based and Manipulative-Based Courses"
Faculty Center for Teaching and Learning, 26th Showcase, 2011, 08/2011
Presenter at the Showcase, on the topics, "There's More to Google Earth than Just Finding Your House" and "Introduction to Creating ePortfolios"
Missouri Distance Learning Association, (MODLA)07/2011
Presenter at the 2011 conference, on the topic, "Implementing Digital Professor Academy as a community of learning"
Chicago Lectora User Group Presentation, (CLUG)02/2009
Helix Conference for Higher Education03/2009
Presenter at the Helix Conference for Higher Education, on the topic, "Developing Export Control e-Learning for Researchers"
Presented a poster at the HigherEdWeb Conference, on the topic, "Negotiating the Compliance Maze: Developing Export Control e-Learning for Researchers"
RCET Conference2006 - 2009
Southwest Education and Technology Conference Presenter on various Instructional Development topics, Spring 2006, Spring 2008 and Spring 2009
American Society for Training and Development (ASTD)09/2006
Participant, Meeting on "Technology and its Role in Training" (meshing communication and technology for training); Local Chapter of American Society for Training and Development (ASTD)
Final Thesis/Project Presentation
Presented paper on "Web-based multimedia course on Health Insurance, Portability, and Accountability Act (HIPAA)" for final project with accompanying paper, Fall 2005
RCET Conference 04/2005
Southwest Education and Technology Conference Presenter on "How to use authoring software to create custom multimedia courses"
Fill out the simple contact form above if you have questions and or comments, and I will contact you as soon as possible. Never fear — I hate spam as much as you do. My purpose is not to sell you anything or sell any of your contact information.